The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #1) by Rick Riordan Review




Series: Percy Jackson and the Olympians #1
Publisher: Disney Hyperion Books
Genre: Young Adult, Adventure, Greek Mythology, Urban Fantasy
Release Date: March 1, 2006
Pages: 377

Goodreads Summary 


Percy Jackson is a good kid, but he can't seem to focus on his schoolwork or control his temper. And lately, being away at boarding school is only getting worse-Percy could have sworn his pre-algebra teacher turned into a monster and tried to kill him. When Percy's mom finds out, she knows it's time that he knew the truth about where he came from, and that he go to the one place he'll be safe. She sends Percy to Camp Half Blood, a summer camp for demigods (on Long Island), where he learns that the father he never knew is Poseidon, God of the Sea. Soon a mystery unfolds and together with his friends -- one a satyr and the other the demigod daughter of Athena -- Percy sets out on a quest across the United States to reach the gates of the Underworld (located in a recording studio in Hollywood) and prevent a catastrophic war between the gods.


My Review

I'm sure almost everyone has read this book it was even probably part of their childhood and you know what I can completely understand why, in fact I wish I could go back to my childhood self and hand her this book. To be honest I normally don't read that many boy pov's for none other reason than because I feel like I won't be able to relate since I'm girl. I know doesn't make much sense but that's how I felt but I decided to give this book a chance and boy was I in for a surprise. I truly enjoyed this book in fact I finished it in really quickly and can't wait to read the second one. 

Now on to the characters, Percy Jackson the kid that has trouble written all over his face, I even think he deserves a reward after everything he got himself into granted it wasn't completely his fault. I completely loved Percy's character he wasn't perfect but he's had a rough childhood so can you blame him. Although,  Percy had it rough he took it into stride he was brave and loyal which to me is everything. I loved how he always protected his friend Grover I wish I had a friend like him growing up.

Annabeth what can I say I loved her and could definitely relate and I found her bickering with Percy so adorable. I loved how they each had a name for each other Percy was Seaweed Brain and Annabeth Wise Girl. They were so adorbs, and I just loved how their friendship grew (and will hopefully grow into something more.) As for Grover, he truly is a loyal friend as well and all three of them just give each other strength their all such wonderful characters that I can't even pick a favorite.

The Greek Mythology was pretty amazeballs though to be truthful I don't know much about mythology so it was sort of like I learned a lot, I'd probably fail at mythology. No cookie for me but I did enjoy it and was truly blown away by everything and can I just say how weird it is to hear that the entrance to the underworld is in Los Angeles where I live when I heard that I was like hmm so I live close to the underworld that's nice to know.

I seriously loved this book! I don't know if I've said this before but I love Adventure books and this book has that and more. I enjoyed every minute of it, I even got angry at myself for awhile because I finished this book so quickly.This book is a MUST! 

This was me the whole time I was reading this book. *fangirling like a dork*


Rating: 4 stars

Comments

  1. THIS MAKES ME VERY HAPPY!
    I'm so glad that you ended up reading this book, Betsy! SEE HOW MUCH AWESOME YOU'VE BEEN MISSING? Percy and Annabeth--yes, they're so cute and ignorant in this one! Gah, I just love them so much.

    Fantastic review! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG. Yes thanks for passing by! I've been meaning to thank you reading your post made me realize I've been missing out! Seriously thank you I'm so getting on this SHIP I already see it!

      Delete
  2. How ironic - I just reviewed House of Hades a few days ago. Great minds think alike, I suppose! I'm glad that you really enjoyed it. It's always nice to go back to Children's fiction every now and then and discover a new book. Percy Jackson was like that for me - I didn't start reading it until my last year of high school. And Warrior Cats, another of my favorites, I didn't start until college!

    I hope you enjoy the rest of the series just as much as this one. It definitely only gets better. =) You have a great site, by the way! I've followed via Bloglovin!

    Brittany @ http://www.spacebetweenthespines.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words and for following me of course! Yes definitely recently I have been reading way to many dystopian and romance books so this is definitely a change which I'm totally loving. ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts