My Fear of Sad Endings


I realized something today, (or maybe I knew it all along but was in denial.) I have a fear of endings. Let me explain I recently finished watching a Korean drama that I had watched almost 2 years ago but never saw the last episode. (I'm not going to say what drama because I feel like it'll be a spoiler.) The reason being that I was scared of the ending. I know it seems irrational but I want a happy ending or at least some sort of happily ever after. I've even dropped awesome books just because I was scared of how it would end. 


I hate that feeling I get when I finish a book with a sad ending because it leaves me feeling empty and depressed hence the fear. I know you're supposed to be feeling all these emotions after reading a book because then that means it was a good book. But you see I'm different I tend to drop the book or series ( and Asian drama) if I feel that its not going to be an HEA and I don't want to be like that. I wanna be able to finish it and feel accomplished and say ha the ending was depressing but its alright I'm okay.


For example, I read the first 2 books of a series but the last book I completely dropped it,  I read spoilers and tidbits which I probably shouldn't have done but I do that a lot and the ending was just what I feared. Don't get me wrong the books I read don't have to be full of rainbows and unicorns, I do read horror or gothic books too but I want to be prepared for the worst not just have a tragic ending thrown at me. Sometimes I blame myself though because how could I not see that it wasn't going to be a happy ending. 


Sorry if this doesn't make much sense but I felt like I needed to do this. Am I the only one? Does anyone else feel this way or do you fear something else? Comment below!

You'd make me so happy. ; )








Comments

  1. Lovely and awesome post! You know that feeling when you have an OTP in a book and you're afraid that if you get to the end of the book, they will no longer be together? I got that feeling so many times and sometimes it actually does happen. Da feels D:

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Omg. How I dread when that happens! I always feel like curling up into a ball and crying my eyes out. My sister looks at me like I'm crazy crying over a fictional character but she doesn't understand. *sigh* :(

      Delete
  2. Nope, it's not only you. Every time I read a series or a book, it's like there's a time bomb ticking down..I'm always like "Don't be a sad ending, just please don't". Especially couples!!! Love triangles!!! It just unsettles me for the whole week! Makes me feel drained or something if I really loved that book...It's hard putting ourselves out there, some authors just wanna makes us cry our eyes out *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes exactly, it leaves me feeling drained and the ending leaves a lasting mark on me and that's how I remember the book with a tragic end. I hate crying though and if that's what authors are going for then I'm out I rather read a fanfic.

      Delete
  3. I understand what you're saying. I knew that The Fiery Heart (part of the Bloodlines series) ends sadly so I didn't read it until the next in the series came out and I read them in one day. I know it's crazy but I love those characters so much and I can't bear them to suffer. And of course there are the series that I chose not to read because either they end sadly or have many-many heartbreaking parts. I know this is bad because I might miss out on great reads but I can't help wanting my happy endings. :)
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get you I was like that too with the Bloodlines series, I just love Sydrian too much and I want my happily ever after, I'm totally anticipating the last book but at the same time a little scared. Hopefully I'm just being paranoid.

      Delete
  4. Me too, when once read a story and right away i knew its a sad ending, i stopped reading it. I really hated the fact that it was a sad ending because I get to feel every kind of emotions sad, depressed, disappointment, and fear! I hate it

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a same god damn problem. I started to watch an anime lately and it was so sweet and beautiful...until I found out one of the main characters are gonna die.
    I got a really weird habit of consciously spoiling up the story I´m interested in. For example I really like this movie so just to be sure I search for the main character´s death scene on YouTube and when somethings shows up I´ll just shut the whole thing down and leave it...
    When it comes to books, I can´t really spoil myself up that easily so that´s the advantage of reading books I guess.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts