Stitching Snow by R.C. Lewis (ARC) Review



Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Genre: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Retellings, Romance, Dystopia, Adventure
Release Date: October 14, 2014
Pages: 338

Goodreads Summary

Princess Snow is missing.

Her home planet is filled with violence and corruption at the hands of King Matthias and his wife as they attempt to punish her captors. The king will stop at nothing to get his beloved daughter back—but that’s assuming she wants to return at all.

Essie has grown used to being cold. Temperatures on the planet Thanda are always sub-zero, and she fills her days with coding and repairs for the seven loyal drones that run the local mines.

When a mysterious young man named Dane crash-lands near her home, Essie agrees to help the pilot repair his ship. But soon she realizes that Dane’s arrival was far from accidental, and she’s pulled into the heart of a war she’s risked everything to avoid. With the galaxy’s future—and her own—in jeopardy, Essie must choose who to trust in a fiery fight for survival.
 

My Review

 I think I've found my true love!! This book had all my favorite genre's and then some!! I swear this book feels like it was made for me. Have I ever said that I love flawed characters? Well, I do and boy were these character's flawed! A retelling of Snow White what else is new right? Wrong! I mean this is a retelling of it, but R.C. Lewis changed it just enough to make it her own without taking out anything major from the original Snow White! Talk about mind blowing!

Essie (or Princess Snow take your pick) is a strong and capable heroine just the kind of character I tend to love and although she was a bit cold and hostile at the beginning you learn to understand throughout the story of why she was like that. In fact I loved her for that very same reason, her past and her present are what made her who she is and her growing from that as a character is exactly why I found myself loving her.  Apart from her character growth, what made me love the book even more was the great world building, learning about each planet was an adventure on its own! Plus there was no instant love or love triangle to me that's a win, the romance was done right and was completely believable. Gahh and her drones were just all kinds of amazing as well, especially Dimwit and Cusser!! Those two drones deserve an award!! (P.S. I kind of also want a drone of my own but I feel like I'll use it for selfish reasons and be really lazy so nevermind. lol)

Dane! Oh Dane! Essie's love interest was even better he was just the kind of book boyfriend I can't help but adore and pray I find someone like him in real life. *delusional* Even though, he did keep secrets from Essie so did she but they trusted each other enough not to ask questions and that to me is the best kind of relationship one can only hope for.  And yes I was a little irritated at him when he kidnapped her but it was for a good reason as Essie (and me) soon found out so it was acceptable and no his sweet and caring attitude towards Essie had nothing to do with it.  *lying*

The plot was truly amazing because I could not for see what would happen next and yes there were some thing's that sort of put me off towards the end because I didn't expect it, but I suppose that's what make's a books so intriguing the not-knowing part.  The villains were truly evil and despicable especially Essie's father but there always has to be a villain in every story, right?

This book is perfect for those who love retellings with a heroine who doesn't need saving! I recommend this wholeheartedly!

Rating: 4 stars

Comments

Popular Posts