Touch of Power (Healer #1) by Maria V. Snyder Review



Series: Healer #1
Publisher: Mira
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance, Adventure, Fiction
Release Date: December 20, 2011
Pages: 390

Goodreads Summary

Laying hands upon the injured and dying, Avry of Kazan assumes their wounds and diseases into herself. But rather than being honoured for her skills, she is hunted. Healers like Avry are accused of spreading the plague that has decimated the Territories, leaving the survivors in a state of chaos.

Stressed and tired from hiding, Avry is abducted by a band of rogues who, shockingly, value her gift above the golden bounty offered for her capture. Their leader an enigmatic captor-protector with powers of his own is unequivocal in his demands: Avry must heal a plague-stricken prince, the leader of a campaign against her people.

As they traverse the daunting Nine Mountains, beset by mercenaries and magical dangers, Avry must decide who is worth healing and what is worth dying for.

My Review

I love fantasy! It's my go-to genre whenever I feel a bit out of the weather and this book was exactly what I needed! It had everything I love about fantasy, the world-building, romance, action, powers (that I would like to have but at the same time I don't want to have).

Avry of Kazan a powerful selfless heroine (who at times I love and hate) who takes the diseases of other's and absorbs it into herself and is hunted instead of thanked for her troubles. She moves from place to place just trying to survive in a plague-ridden world but leaves a string of healed children along the way which is her down fall and what gets her captured and almost killed if it wasn't for Kerrick (the douche bag) and his band of merry men. Kerrick isn't a complete douche but for mostly half of the book he is! He treats Avry very poorly I get that he needs her to heal someone very important for him but he chose the worst way to go about it.

Kerrick's gang I completely loved especially Flea I found him to be cute and stubborn. Belen I found hilarious and loved his banter with his friends, he was such a wonderful character and he was kinder to Avry than Kerrick ever was. As for Loren and Quain they just added to the hilarious banter but also helped in the action department. Apart from the characters what I truly loved was the adventure part, they went everywhere and there was always a knew danger if it wasn't deadly flowers it was other's hunting Avry there was nonstop action and I was so entertained.

The romance was well I'm actually not really sure, I'll admit I hated Kerrick because of how he treated Avry but I grew out of it somewhat but still couldn't truly see him as her love interest. I suppose the romance between them was heart-warming and sweet for other's but for me I just couldn't really feel it I mean Kerrick just treated Avry really just terrible and she fell for that? I just it doesn't make sense to me but that's love I guess...I'll see how it goes when I read the sequel.

If you love fantasy this book is a must it was entertaining and I couldn't put it down!

Rating: 4 stars

Comments

Popular Posts